Compounding for Pets
PETS ON PROZAC!
Over the past 25 years, veterinary behaviourists have learned more about the biological basis of dog behaviour and have used drugs to help anxious, aggressive, clingy, obsessive, accident-prone, traumatized, and anti-social dogs when non-medical solutions cannot.
Our pets can benefit from veterinary compounding as well as there aren’t as many drugs specifically designed to treat diseases and conditions in animals. This means human drugs (those not tested for use in animals) are used if there is no species-specific alternative.
This is where the compounding chemist comes in.
A few reasons for pharmacy compounding medications include:
- Your pet will only take liquids but the medication is in pills form
- Flavouring the medication makes it easier to administer the medication
- Your pet needs a drug without a certain additive
- Combining drugs together can help you administer the drug
- The strength of medication you need for your pet is not available
- Your pet is taking a human medication that was removed from the market
We can work closely with you and your veterinarian, to compound medications to fit the tastes and preferences of your pet.
For example we can compound medications into
- Biscuits and treats
- Custards etc
Some of the flavours include;
This may help to take the struggle out of medicating your pets.